No photo available

38 views - 1 month ago

Ermita chief backs Carbon modernization

BARANGAY Captain Mark Miral of Ermita, Cebu City said that development is good for the city government and its people; hence, he is supporting the modernization of Carbon Public Market by Megawide Corporation.

Miral said Ermita Barangay Government is ready to help the Cebu City Government in solving any problem that will come out especially if it involves the vendors.

Miral added that during the Cebu City Council session last week presided by Vice Mayor Michael Rama, the sides of Megawide, barangay officials, and vendors were heard.

“So, we see and believe that the Cebu City Council direction is to support Carbon market area redevelopment and modernization,” Miral said.

Ermita has 80 percent jurisdiction over the Carbon market area, while the other 20 percent is within Barangay Sto. Niño.

Miral said that Mayor Edgardo C. Labella has created the Public Market Oversight Committee (PMOC) to solve all the problems arising from the modernization like reconciling the list of vendors in the hands of Barangay Councilor Maria Pino, and that of the market administrator. 

MIral said the PMOC will crossmatch the list to make sure that nobody will be displaced.

Miral said they focus on making sure that market stall rentals will be low and affordable to the vendors. Megawide President Louie Ferrer earlier said that their company will not increase market stall rentals for at least three years as a corporate social responsibility to help the vendors. He said all the vendors will be accommodated.

“We know based on the joint venture agreement that Freedom Park and Barracks will be the new Carbon market area where existing stall vendors and ambulant vendors will be accommodated. The existing Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 3 will become a commercial hub,” Miral said.

Miral added that PMOC which is holding successive meetings will solve all problems that involve vendors, market stakeholders, and the buying public. ELIAS O. BAQUERO